If you are directly affected ..
If you are directly affected by this law…as a sex offender on registration or a family member or friend of one, here is what you NEED to do immediately:
1. File the complaint forms with the local courts. They are provided for you at Ohio Public Defender web site. (http://opd.ohio.gov/AWA_Information/Adam_Walsh.htm)
You must do this , not only to protect your own constitutional rights, but also to join in the fight to make it more likely that we will succeed as a whole. File both the Motion for Relief from Community Notification and the Petition to Contest Reclassification. Make sure you also note on your filings that you contest the Constitutionality of the law’s application: “that SB 10 violates the ex post facto, double jeopardy, and separation of powers provisions of the Ohio Constitution and the United States Constitution”. The more complaints filed, the more cumbersome it becomes for the courts and politicians. It not only assures you of contesting your own rights, but it also strengthens the cause throughout the state and nation.
File in the county of your registration AND the county of your conviction (if different). File copies with both the Clerk of Courts and the County Prosecutor, as instructed. Keep a copy. You have an extended deadline but it will not go on forever so get it done!
2. Call, email and write your local representatives.
Be persistent and forceful in what you have to say to them. These politicians are cowards and bow to public opinion more than you know. Any indication that they will receive negative media attention will scare them more than you know. Tell them you insist that they stand up against the AWA law or that they resign. Do not make your case personal. No politician really cares about your own personal interests. They only care how it affects their reputations. Base your case on the illegality of the law and the irresponsibility of their actions in passing it. Beyond all, let it be known that you are not “asking” them , but rather demanding. Remember that these political and elected officials hold their positions ONLY as a privilege and at the pleasure of us, the citizens who vote !
3. Join ConstitutionalFights and our efforts to fight AWA and the SB 10 laws. Sign our petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/oh08/petition.html.
4. Start an online blog. Start a forum or group. Help us spread the word about our blog sites. Post comments to news and blog posts which address sex offender law issues. Feel free to include a link to our blogs as a resource for “more information”. Search our blogs to gather data and statistics to substantiate your points. Post fliers in public places referring those interested to our sites, or others, to become more educated and involved. Use VistaPrint, or other free online business card sites to order free business cards to leave in public places for the same purposes. Send friendly informational fliers to registered sex offenders in your town with a link to where they can find more information and become active in the fight.
5. Become active in your state. Find your state organizer at RSOL. If there is no active leadership in your state, become that leader. If there is leadership, contact them and become active in the work each state must do to fight these laws. Don’t just complain; do something to change your situation!
6. Donate to the cause. We hear from many of those affected by these laws. Most of them complain about how it has devastated them and their families, but very few of these actually take action or donate to the cause.